|Vision and Mission
About Us » Vision and Mission
Vision, Mission, and Accountability
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the North Coast
Our vision is that all youth achieve their full potential.
Our mission is to build and support one-to-one relationships to ignite the biggest possible futures for youth.
Building from over a century of impact, our Network has a strong foundation. Now, we need to harness our legacy, energy, and ideas to become the organization that empowers every young person on a path to graduate high school with a plan for their future and a mentor whose impact will last a lifetime. To achieve this, we will focus on four key pillars to enable transformative change for each agency and our Network as a whole:
• REACH: Reach more young people with mentoring experiences that put them on the path to graduate with a plan for their future and a positive mentor whose impact lasts a lifetime
• RELEVANCE: Engage 1 million alumni and champions to join our mission and elevate our brand as the most trusted and relevant “go to” source for mentoring solutions across the country
• REVENUE: Generate transformational investment in the Big Brothers Big Sisters mission
• RESOURCES: Become a best in class, customer-centric national office supporting a thriving and connected network of self-sustaining agencies.
BBBSNC is a non-profit organization that is funded greatly by the Humboldt County community. Local individuals and businesses support BBBSNC through fundraising events and donations.
|| Who Our Littles Are
The children we serve come from diverse backgrounds, but there are a few things they all have in common:
• Children from our community who need and want a positive adult role model.
• Age 6-16.
Children in our community-based program must be enrolled by their parent/guardian. Many children are referred to the program by a teacher, counselor, or social worker. All children, and their parents must have a desire to be in our program.
|| The Difference We Make
It’s pretty simple. By building a trusting friendship with a child, research shows that mentors can make a powerful impact in his/her life. Having a Big Brother or Sister can:
• Broaden a child’s horizons.
• Help a child realize his or her own potential
• Improve a child's self-esteem.
• Inspire new interests in a child.
An independent national research organization conducted a study of Big Brothers Big Sisters and found that children who had been matched with a mentor for 18 or more months were:
• 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
• 52% less likely to skip school
• 37% less likely to skip a class
• 33% less likely to hit someone
They also found that the Littles were more confident of their performance in schoolwork and got along better with their families.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (BBBSA) has been making a positive difference in the lives of children and communities across the country for more than 100 years. We are motivated by our mission and bound by our values. CARE highlights some of those values and underlines our dedication to the 400,000 children in our network. We commit to embedding a JEDI-lens into everything we do and maintain our commitment to protecting every young person we empower.